Prague is a stunning city that offers plenty of amazing attractions and experiences, but if you want to explore more of the Czech Republic, there are plenty of great day trips to take. Here are six must-do day trips to discover the hidden gems and stunning sights beyond Prague.
- Karlštejn Castle – Located just 30 kilometers from Prague, Karlštejn Castle is a medieval fortress that was built in the 14th century by Charles IV. The castle features stunning Gothic architecture, including the famous Chapel of the Holy Cross, and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside.
- Český Krumlov – This picturesque town is located in southern Bohemia and is known for its stunning castle, narrow cobblestone streets, and charming atmosphere. Visitors can explore the castle and its beautiful gardens, walk along the Vltava River, and admire the town’s historic architecture.
- Terezin Memorial – Terezin was a Nazi concentration camp during World War II, and today the town is a powerful reminder of the atrocities that took place during the Holocaust. Visitors can tour the former camp, see exhibitions about the lives of the prisoners, and learn about the history of the town.
- Kutná Hora – This historic town is home to several amazing attractions, including the Gothic St. Barbara’s Church, the eerie Sedlec Ossuary, and the stunning Italian Court, a former royal palace. Visitors can explore the town’s charming streets, learn about its history, and enjoy the local cuisine.
- Bohemian Switzerland National Park – Located near the German border, this stunning park offers breathtaking natural scenery, including towering rock formations, lush forests, and meandering rivers. Visitors can hike along the trails, go rock climbing, or take a boat ride down the river.
- Pilsen – This vibrant city is known for its famous Pilsner beer, but it also offers plenty of other attractions, including the stunning St. Bartholomew’s Cathedral, the Great Synagogue, and the colourful Town Hall. Visitors can enjoy the local cuisine and beer, learn about the city’s history, and explore its charming streets.
In conclusion, Prague is a great starting point for exploring the Czech Republic, and these six day trips offer a wide range of experiences for all types of travellers. Whether you’re interested in history, architecture, nature, or food and drink, there’s something for everyone. So why not step outside of Prague and discover the hidden gems and stunning sights that await you?