As someone who has travelled extensively throughout the Balkans, I can attest to the incredible experiences that this region has to offer. From stunning natural landscapes to rich cultural heritage and vibrant cities, there are countless reasons to visit this part of the world.
Here are some of the top countries to consider visiting in the Balkans, along with some of the key reasons why they should be on your travel radar:
- Croatia: With its stunning coastline, crystal clear waters, and charming towns, Croatia is a must-visit destination in the Balkans. Whether you’re exploring the historic streets of Dubrovnik, swimming in the turquoise waters of the Adriatic Sea, or hiking in the breathtaking Plitvice Lakes National Park, there is something for everyone in Croatia.
- Greece: While Greece is not typically considered part of the Balkans, it is geographically connected to the region and shares many cultural and historical ties. From the iconic Acropolis in Athens to the beautiful beaches of Santorini, Greece offers a wealth of ancient history and natural beauty.
- Albania: For those looking to venture off the beaten path, Albania is a hidden gem in the Balkans. With its rugged mountain ranges, pristine beaches, and fascinating Ottoman and Communist-era architecture, Albania offers a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage. See some Albania safety tips here.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: From the historic city of Sarajevo to the stunning natural beauty of the Una National Park, Bosnia and Herzegovina is a country that should not be missed. With its rich history and welcoming people, this is a destination that offers a truly authentic travel experience. Also don’t miss the stunning Mostar!
- Montenegro: With its rugged mountains, picturesque coastline, and quaint towns, Montenegro is a destination that offers a little bit of everything. Whether you’re hiking in the Durmitor National Park or relaxing on the beaches of Budva, there is plenty to see and do in this small but beautiful country.
Overall, the Balkans offer a unique travel experience that is characterized by its blend of natural beauty, rich history, and welcoming people. Whether you’re interested in exploring ancient ruins, hiking through stunning landscapes, or simply relaxing on the beach, there is something for everyone in this region. So why not consider adding the Balkans to your travel bucket list and experiencing all that this fascinating part of the world has to offer?