Greece is home to over 6,000 islands, each with its own unique history, culture, and natural beauty. From the popular tourist destinations to the hidden gems, there is an island for every type of traveller. In this article, we’ll explore the 15 best islands to visit in Greece, from the stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters to the picturesque villages and historic landmarks.
- Santorini: This volcanic island is famous for its breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea and the iconic white and blue architecture of its villages. Don’t miss the sunset in Oia or a visit to the ancient ruins of Akrotiri.
- Mykonos: Known for its lively nightlife and beautiful beaches, Mykonos is a favourite destination for partygoers and sun worshippers. Be sure to explore the narrow streets of the picturesque town of Chora.
- Crete: The largest and most diverse of the Greek islands, Crete offers something for everyone, from stunning beaches and mountain villages to ancient ruins and delicious cuisine. Don’t miss the Palace of Knossos and the Samaria Gorge.
- Rhodes: This historic island is home to the well-preserved medieval city of Rhodes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the Palace of the Grand Master and the Acropolis of Lindos.
- Corfu: The lush green island of Corfu is known for its Venetian architecture and charming old town. Be sure to visit the Achilleion Palace and the Byzantine Museum.
- Zakynthos: This beautiful island is home to the famous Navagio Beach, a stunning cove with crystal-clear waters and a shipwreck. Explore the Blue Caves and the Keri Lighthouse.
- Paros: This laid-back island is a favorite among travelers looking for a more relaxed atmosphere. Don’t miss the charming villages of Naoussa and Lefkes. See a guide to Naoussa here!
- Naxos: The largest of the Cyclades islands, Naxos is known for its beautiful beaches and picturesque villages. Visit the Portara, the ancient temple of Apollo, and the Venetian castle in Naxos town.
- Milos: This volcanic island is home to some of the most spectacular beaches in Greece, including Sarakiniko and Kleftiko. Don’t miss the catacombs of Milos and the village of Plaka.
- Hydra: This car-free island is a paradise for walkers and nature lovers. Take a stroll through the charming town of Hydra and visit the historic Hydra Cathedral.
- Skiathos: This small island is home to over 60 stunning beaches, including Koukounaries and Lalaria. Don’t miss the Bourtzi fortress and the Evangelistria Monastery.
- Serifos: This lesser-known island is a favorite among travelers looking for a more authentic Greek experience. Be sure to visit the Chora, the Livadi beach, and the Kastro.
- Symi: This picturesque island is known for its colorful houses and stunning views of the sea. Explore the charming town of Symi and visit the Panormitis Monastery.
- Ios: This laid-back island is a favorite among young travelers looking for a more affordable party destination. Don’t miss the beautiful Mylopotas beach and the Homer’s Tomb.
- Folegandros: This small island is a hidden gem, known for its stunning beaches and peaceful atmosphere. Be sure to visit the Chora, the Agios Nikolaos beach, and the Ano Meria village.
Greece’s islands are an idyllic destination for travellers seeking beautiful beaches, historic landmarks, and picturesque villages. The 15 islands we’ve highlighted in this article offer something for everyone, from party destinations like Mykonos to hidden gems like Folegandros. Whether you’re looking for adventure, relaxation, or cultural experiences, the Greek Islands are sure to satisfy your wanderlust.